<body> profile tagboard journal affiliates
Thursday, 10 April 2008
I'm back in action!! / Thursday, April 10, 2008

I'm probably the worst blogger in the world. hahaha. Really sorry i haven't been blogging for like 2 months! Paiseh... Actually, i have been blogging every day during my break, just that i blogged in my handphone.

Oh man, i feel like a different person now, now that i've been working in quite a mature and high-end place for almost 2 months. Alrite. Here goes, whether you can take it all not.


12 FEB 08, TUE - 17 FEB 08, SUN

12 FEB 08, TUE

First day at work, excited! Started work at 10.30am. The front door was locked, so i called up the French guy to open the door for me. I later realised staff got in by the back door. How glam ==''.

Mr French guy is Arnaud, the GM. Big boss not around. Muse just started business only 3 weeks ago, so basically it's very new and little people know of it yet. Our neighbour restaurant at the musuem, Novus, is quite a successful fine-dining restaurant.

The staff there are quite middle-aged; Suren, Manager. Eric, Supervisor. Richard, Asst Manager. Carol, Waitress. Except for Shafiqa, Hostess/waitress and Firzal, Supervisor who are in their 20s.

Had to change into a black formal top which Arnaud provided me. He later passed me 2 more similar ones so i can alternate among the 3 shirts. I started my job arranging cutlery. Lots of details. Next, i went into the private room to help Syafiqa arrange flowers. The boss must be filthy rich, can afford to spend money on real decorative flowers. And there’s this white designer couch that looked damn posh. (Later i learnt it was from Barcelona, costs $1500 and $3500 for the longer one. *Faints)

I followed Eric and Richard for the day. They taught me stuff. Oh, i had to put on a black apron, and becos it's so damn long, i had to fold it up so i looked like a bloated idiot. Thanks a lot.
There were few customers in the afternoon. It was damn boring and tiring to stand around doing nothing. I was starting to regret getting this job. Then something that Suren said maid me more frustrated. It's my first time doing waitressing, so please understand that I’m not used to it. Damn. Maybe the service industry is not my cup of tea. I hate it when i have to see people's face and serve them. I hate this rich and high class environment sia.

During my lunch break, i went to Starbucks at Cathay plaza to have an Expresso Frappucino. Chatted with Rach on the phone and shared with her wad happened at work. I felt better after talking to her. At least I dun feel so alone. (Thanx rach.)

After lunch, back to Muse. The boss of a sister restaurant, Graze, came over to give us training. To Muse, it's not a good thing becos it shows that we need external help to get things right internally. Anyway, all of us sat down for a meeting (Yes, meeting on my 1st day on job. Stress. ) in the private rm (Krug rm). The Graze boss looked filthy rich. He was in flowery shirt and spoke with an American accent. haha. He’s quite friendly. He taught us how to serve better by giving us a file with guidelines and information on Muse. We discussed about the food that we serve also. Cos as waiters and waitresses, we'r supposed to know. God, all the chim spanish and french and blah blah food names. Do I really have to learn all that?

Dinner time was quiet as well. The actual boss of Muse came over. He's called Jeffrey. He looked so young ok, like a ordinary uni guy. Then when he came in, he passed me an hong bao supposedly for CNY. "This is for you." I was kinda surprised la. The hong bao was very flat. Im guessing 10 bucks inside. He came with 2 other ladies, the partners of Muse. Wa, the business circle quite complicated. There are 6 partners for Muse, so they each have shares in it. Then they individually have other partners in hotel chains and stuff. Hai... rich people. But i dun envy them, cos most of them for eg. have rich businessmen fathers and so on. They’re just born rich I guess.

There was another couple customer. The guy was an angmo in his late 40s and a chinese woman. The angmo guy was so funny and cute! Becos me and carol was stationed close to him and we kept looking at the table to see if everything's set, he whispered to Arnaud about us, then later when he eat, he looked at both of us, then hide behind his napkin to eat. So cute! Haha. Then when Carol asked if he wanted any dessert, he joked that if he orders, Carol must help him eat. Lol funny guy.

While i was working, i noticed the boss, Jeffrey kept looking at me. Felt quite uncomfortable. After that, Eric told me to bring bread to that boss table. I went there and just placed the bread on the lady boss's plate. Guess wad? I got a scolding from her straightaway, in front of the boss and the partner. Depression, i tell you. I'm supposed to ask them if they want more bread b4 serving. After the scolding, i thicken my face and asked them again. Shit, I wanna quit.

I was bombarded by ‘You should ask first… blah blah” by my colleagues. Omg. I dunno whether to cry or run out of the restaurant straightaway. Then Firzal told me ‘It’s ok, everyone makes mistakes. But next time, ask b4 you serve.’ This advice doesn’t change anything. I still feel depressed.

I went home pretty early on Tues. Much earlier compared to the rest. Muse closes at 11, but Suren let me go home at 10pm. Total emo-ness on my way home. Was cursing myself for accepting this job. Nothing in the world comes cheap. I mean, not-so-bad pay, free meals plus good food somemore, nice working environment, nice GM. All this for the shit that just happened. But forget it. I won’t quit that easily. I not leaving empty-handed just becos I got scolded by that witch. I’m not that weak ok.

Went home and excitedly open Jeffrey’s hong bao. What a shocker. $50.
Filthy rich ppl are sickos. Lol. I found myself getting super pissed with this Jeffrey, tho I dunno what’s my basis of this hate for him. Damn these rich ppl, sipping coffee all day and spending money like water. It’s worse if they got a stuck up attitude. Just want to slap that smug look of their faces man.

13 FEB 08, WED

The second day at work was much better. We split the whole restaurant into 3 sections and I was in charge of Section 3 with Richard. I learnt so much from him because he was very patient. For lunch, an elderly ang mo couple sat at our section and I was mainly doing the service( bread, butter, refilling of glasses, serving drinks, clearing plates) while Richard served the dish. These may sound easy, but we are expected to provide fine-dining service, not your casual Swensens kind of dining. (Which is kinda ridiculous also, bcos we are a French casual-dining place, not fine-dining. But later Arnaud explained to us we must give customers more than what they expect from us. Oh whatever.)

The angmo couple really made my day. The woman was so polite and said thank you many times when I served her water and so on. When they were about to leave, Suren accompanied them to the door and asked how was the meal. The lady said “It was lovely.” Wee! Damn happy lah!

We had a tasting session with the chef during 1 hr of our break. The chef, Anderson Ho is pretty famous I think. He’s won some international awards or something. The session was really cool. We were supposed to taste the dishes so that when customers ask any qns or ask to recommend sth, we can pick our own favourite. The names of the dishes very confusing. Lots of French and Italian names. Escargot, which is land snails, was served on crispy flaked bread. It was ok for me. I was quite grossed out by the snails, but they taste kinda like the Chinese black mushroom. I had goose liver Foir Gras which was quite yucks cos its so bitable, like you’re eating a piece of fat. haha Anderson told us actually the goose liver is very small, but farmers who rear these geese force-feed them, so their livers become diseased and bloated. Then they kill the goose just to get the big fat liver. Terrible. There were other dishes but I forgot their names. I tried something called chorizo which I think is sausage, but not the Chinese xiang chang lah. Very nice and spicy. I tried the blue cheese dipping for a salad. Ew, the cheese taste is so strong. Haha. Oh, I learnt that calamari is Spanish for squid. Squid and sotong is different. On the overall, I learnt a lot of stuff during this tasting. + point of this job. I dun think I’ll get to taste wad customers are eating elsewhere =D

For dinner time, Jeffrey and his business partners and vips came agn. I thickened my skin and served the lady boss (she’s called Loi) water and bread who scolded me ytd. She was very polite. She wasn’t the witch I thought she was. Haha.

One super embarrassing thing happened during dinner time. There were 2 male customers. One of them looked like a director (Chi-na face with hair tied in a pigtail) and the other looked like a businessman. When they finished their last course, I went round to serve them more bread. Then the businessman guy said he wants xmcmnbread and my number. WTH. I just stood there, dunno wad to answer lah! Go ahead and guess how I replied him, cos im not gonna say. It’s too embarrassing. All you gotta know is that I rejected him hahaha.

14 FEB 08, THUR

Valentine’s Day. Lunch time very empty. Me and Carol went into the Krug Rm to roll up the Valentine’s Day menu and tie pink ribbons around them so they look like scrolls. While we fold the stuff, the background is playing some jazzy romantic music, make me want to sleep lah. Hahaha. I fold halfway suddenly carol comment that the music also make her wanna slp Lol. Everything looked very lovely and fairytale-like. The rest kept joking the scrolls are the marriage cert. Haha. Then for the ladies, we put the door gift in front of the scroll on top of the napkin. So nice. When night came, the restaurant was dark and so romantic. The waitresses were supposed to wear pink aprons. Yikes! Baby pink! But when we put on, it still looked quite pretty lah, matched with the black formal top =)

Full hse for the night. I’m starting to realize something… won’t say it here.

Oh, today there was a newcomer, Kyle. He’s 24 and working full-time. As waiter cum bartender. Very friendly person.

Ok, back to the dinner. It was romantic seeing couples eating and chatting. And there was a couple, both guys. Haha. I think you know wad I mean. They both look quite eligible de, but who knew… Well, I think gays rock. haha

One couple sat at a dark special corner near the window. When I went round serving them bread, the guy asked me if they can cancel the main course. I was like huh~. Then the girl told me he was kidding. That’s becos im serving them the 3rd round of bread already Hahaha. Funny and friendly couple. Another couple asked for the song album of a song that was playing in the background. The song’s called Dream a little dream. I think I’ve fallen in love with French, romantic and jazz music already! Haha Halfway while working, Arnaud passed me a door gift. It was a nice bracelet souvenir.

I made quite a lot of mistakes that night. For eg, a lady ordered coffee, but I served tea. God. Lucky she was nice enough to say its ok. At Muse, customers are treated like kings. There’s little room for mistakes.

Another sickening thing happened. Suren and Firzal asked me whether tonight going out with bf after work. Was quite stunned lah, cos they so direct. Lol. So I just went ‘Erm~’ I should just say that im single so they’ll stop bugging me about it. haha

Later that night, more vips came. Glamour group. One guy looked so hunky and 2 ladies looked like models. Pretty, young and rich. Hai… I find them quite picky. I didn’t want to go close to that grp cos i wasn’t in the best of moods. Scared I’ll screw up.

Finally Firzal told me I can go. It was 11.30pm. Never felt so tired b4. On my way out, I saw Jeffrey’s Lamborghini. Hot orange and black. The car’s hot, owner’s not. Hahaha

15 FEB 08, FRI

Lunch for the staff was good today. We had pasta and bacon. Yum. If not, normally is rice with chicken or something. During lunch I chatted with the female bartender, Joycelyn. She’s an SP graduate of School of Maritime. Cool, now I have someone who’s from same sch as me =)

Vips came over for lunch. Some from the national heritage board, some from media (newspaper).
Arnaud wasn’t very happy with our performance during lunch, becos got one vip table waved their hands at us asking for their coffee. We are expected to attend to their every need w/o them asking. He used 2 hrs of our break for training. He had lots of advice for us. Eg. Not to be late for work. He also shared with us some good news. He discussed with Jeffrey already, and Jeff agreed to give us an increase of $140 on top of the basic pay. It starts from the month of Feb. I think this is most likely for full-timers only. Arnaud also mentioned something else that I personally was afraid would trigger workplace politics.

After the mtg at 5pm, most of us dozed off in the Kruger Rm. I turned on my lappy and blogged. 3 of the kitchen cooks also slept on the chairs. As in lying down. Quite unglam la. Haha.

After the break, Kyle went missing. I damn blur. I was the only one awake in the room, but I didn’t notice if he left the room or not. We were suspecting he’s sleeping somewhere in MUSE. Hahaha.

Dinner comes the exciting part. Mediacorp artistes Constance Yeo and Thomas Ong and crew booked the Krug Rm. God, Thomas Ong is so good-looking. But when he spoke and hokkien words start coming out of his mouth, his image went “blapht”. Cheh, my expectation of tv stars too high liao. Carol told me a few wks ago, ‘C’ came here to drink, drink until drunk then ~kao peh kao bu~ in our backyard. Hahaha. Behaved like an ah lian. Oh, one of MUSE partner, Peter Teo, was in the room also. He looked about 30, quite young and gd-looking. He drives a lambo, I heard. Eh, 30 counted young k. Always when I see hot cars on the road, the drivers are ah pehs. Saddening lah hahaha.

Peter is here, Jeffrey and his friends came. This means that there’ll be Lamborghinis to look out for in the carpark. Yikes! It’ll be so cool if their Lambos are all parked in one line! Then I’ll snap away until my boss come and scold mi! haha.

Halfway while working, Suren kaypo again, and ask me whether bf got scold me all not cos ytd get off so late. AIYO! Why can’t they leave me alone?! LOL. I told him straightaway im single. Suren’s reaction damn cute lah. He was like “serious not, don’t bluff, you yesterday just broke up right?” I wanted to laugh in his face lah! Who breaks up on Valentine’s Day? Lol.

It was some customer, Richard’s bday, so the chef baked him a nice bday cake with strawberries. Gosh, it looked so tasty! We brought the cake into the Krug Rm where the mediacorp ppl were and sang bday song for Richard. Then Thomas stood up and took pics of the bday guy. Damn it, I think im in the picture ==”

Tiring day.. whew

16 FEB 08, SAT

Staff meal was gd. Hor fun with nice sauce and lots of vegetables. Though a little too salty. Heck, it’s still good.

In the morning, ppl from kids central came to shoot a show in the Kruger Korner. We saw guys in Stamford Raffles and Temengong (Malay chief) costumes. Wah, recap of history hahaha. Kyle never appeared agn. I think he quit already. So fast man. He only worked for like 1.5 days lol. He didn’t tell anyone, he just disappeared during the break yesterday. Hope he’s alright. If nothing really happened to him, then I think it’s pretty irresponsible to just disappear like that. Want to quit also should speak to Arnaud or something mah.

Anyway, I went to drink milo bing at Kopitiam and chatted with HS on the phone. It’s much more economic compared to drinking Strabucks Espresso Frappucino every day.

There was a newcomer, Indian guy called Rani. He looked like he’s in his 20s. Found out he was actually working for only 1 day. His pay is 7/per hour. Dinner was chaotic. There’s a birthday party of 40 pax outside and another bday party in the Krug Korner for 14 pax. I’m one of those assigned to take care the 40 pax one.
OH man. Faints. I heard the 40 ppl is Jeffrey’s friends = Stress!

The whole restaurant was decorated very nicely. There were pretty balloons everywhere. Arh! I want to take pics!

When the ‘vips’ came, I was like CHEH. They were actually a class of 18 year olds lah. Not some VVIPs lah. Scared myself unnecessarily. They didn’t look like 18 yr old. Trust me. The girls, well, they dressed well, but the guys, big no-no. They look like 16 year olds. Haha.

Inside the Krug Korner, about 14 totally gorgeous and mo guys and girls were celebrating the bday girl’s bday. The girls were wearing low-cut cocktail dresses. They looked like models. One girl was wearing a tube dress so short, the bartender Fazlee was like telling me “That’s a bomb” Lol, so direct. The guys are good looking also. After dessert, I went in to collect the dishes. Then I saw the bday girl in a guy’s lap. When we came out, Suren asked us how was inside. Carol joked “inside very happening” hahaha.

Damn tired man. Lots of wastage. The kids really dunno how to appreciate good French food man. When the students start going out to take pics, it wasn’t so busy. Chef Khoo the pastry chef let Eric and I try a cookies cheese cake, cos I think got leftover. It was heavenly!! =D

When everything ended, Arnaud came to ask me if I received any hong bao. It was supposed to be from the bday girl’s parents outside. But I didn’t get anything leh. Then Arnaud gave me his. So nice of him. Again, $50. Damn, I love the money this job is bringing me. Their hong bao so big! Lol

Damn tired. Snorze.

17 FEB 08, SUN

Disaster. I spilled red wine on a lady and the glass broke. Oh god. I served her white wine first, then had to reach in to serve her bf his red wine. Then it happened. I panicked. My colleagues came to help clean up and take the couple to another table. I was shivering all the while. Then I had to serve them bread. I was still shivering real bad. Arnaud came to talk to me. He told me it’s not my fault. It’s Richard’s job to collect the drinks from the bar, so I should let him do it himself. Damn it, I wasn’t in the mood for pointing out whose fault it was. Then Richard came to talk to me, and commented that if I don’t collect drinks, everything dun do, then I can go home already.

The late nights and energy-draining stuff at work are clearly taking their toll on me. I quickly excused myself and went to the toilet to cry. Felt so sorry and useless. Very sad to think about my colleagues’ perception of me. I’m probably the worst waitress they’ve every hired. lol

I was in the toilet for quite long. My eyes were red and swollen, so I tried to calm myself down. I know it’s damn childish to cry after spilling something on a customer. I kept telling myself this and finally managed to calm down and go back to work.

Back at the restaurant, Suren kept asking me if im ok. I think he knows I cried. Image gone. I hate crying in front of ppl, or letting them know that I cried. Pls just leave me alone.

The rest of the day sucked for me. I tried to forget about what happened in the afternoon, but Suren kept reminding me of it by asking me if im ok all not. I know he cares for me, I really appreciate it. But he doesn’t realise that he’s reminding me of that incident.

My day didn’t end all that badly. Halfway, my colleagues made me laugh and made me feel much better. Like Richard, he came and joked that I shouldn’t pour the spilled wine away. I should pour the rest on the woman’s head, don’t waste it ==’’ haha

MUSE is closed on Mondays. Thank god tmr is off-day! Finally! The week had been so long, tiring and eventful.


little miss daisy blue

Bernice/ Ber/ Bernie/ Bunny
1990 November 12
Home:
Hougang Espírito Santo
Makeshift tent:
Rustic Kovan garden
PPS, CHIJ SJC,
SP Business School 07-

Every little thing will be alright,

No signboards
no direction from here.
But I think we should climb on

I see lots of clouds,
damn where are the signs.

Oh I see it, there's light!
And there's a path
a path that leads us
back to reality

i knew it would lead us somewhere


just about my love

Photobucket cartoon blackie and me Photobucket

Lovelies,
Rachel
Nina
Kim
Pebbles
Hong Siew
Justina
anqi
yixin
sharna
yuling


Leave your footprints,
 


Broken Str... - James Morrison Feat. Nelly Furtado
More at MP3-Codes.com
remembered as legend
designer: darkdegree
icons: x x x x
archive: x